Friday 17 June 2011

Goal update...

Well I didn't expect to be udpating about another goal so soon but I sure am glad I can tick this one off.

After years of not having a clue where I was heading I finally figured out a plan. So about a month ago I applied to do an Access course at Worcester College. It's a year long course that enables those without A Levels go onto university.

They sent me a date for an interview along with an essay question I had to complete as part of my application. Having not written an essay in 7 years I knew it was going to be a little tough. Turns out it was more than a little tough. The essay was about the coalition governments approach on government spending, public sector debt and government taxation. Talk about jumping in at the deep end. It took me about two weeks to complete the 700 word essay. Most of the first week was spent researching and thrashing around ideas. I have to admit that once I'd finished I was really pleased with what I had produced. I'm also glad that it was tough and that I worked through that. I am known as one who starts things but hardly ever finishes. So completing this essay made me realise that this course is most definately something I want to do.
The day I finished it I received another letter from the college that included another essay question. The college decided that the government question was a bit much so they felt it best to give applicants another option. I am so glad I didn't get this till after I had finished as I would probably have opted for the easier question. It was about tourism and only asked for 450 words.

I had my interview on Wednesday. I expected there to be a whole bunch of others, there was 3 of us. We met 2 of the tutors who both seemed pretty nice. One happened to mention that the essay I completed was actually aimed at those who had finished the course, so it was a good sign that I had coped with it.
There was a little presentation followed by our individual interviews. Mine only lasted about 15 minutes. I have already decided on which universities I want to apply to, heck I've even signed myself up to the open days. I think having everything planned out was a big plus, it also feels pretty great to have a clear idea of where I'm headed.

Anywho the whole purpose of this was post was to say I GOT ACCEPTED ON THE COURSE!!!
Yay, I'm super happy and a little freaked out. I had to inform work that I would have to step down from my office duties as of Sept 1st and go to working Saturdays only. This was tough and it's a little scary to think I will go from working 120hrs a month to just 30! My bank balance is going to be awful low for the next year.

Time to say a big hello to being poor and spending hours hunched over books.
I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment