Tuesday 28 June 2011

Journal Day [1]

Hot mama Danielle of the fabulous Sometimes Sweet blog has invited her readers to join in 'Journal Day'. It's a chance to get back into writing. It will be interesting to see what I come up with for each prompt Danielle offers up. It will also be fun to read what others have written.

Describe a "first" (first date, first lie, the first time you experienced something, first time in a particular setting, etc). Include as many details as possible to paint a picture.

I dug out my favourite grey checkered trousers and grabbed my new green shirt from the wardrobe. I spent a good 15mins looking at myself in the mirror, 'Did I look okay? Would I fit in? What if I hated it as soon as we arrived?' I was attending my first gig, the idea filled with me nervous excitement, it was a big deal. It would open me up to a whole different world, a world I knew very little about at that time. A couple of workmates were going to see The All American Rejects. The day before one guy had to drop out so the spare ticket was offered to me. I had never heard of this band, no clue what they sounded like or where they came from but there was no way I would pass this up.

Dave picked me up around 6ish and we headed off to Birmingham, making our way to The Irish Club. There was quite a large queue already so we headed round the corner to join the end. I stood there looking at everyone else in the queue, being very shy back then I was very much a people watcher. Observing how others acted, intrigued by their outfits and the confidence that spilled out. Doors opened at 7pm and it wasn't long before our tickets were checked and we were walking in. I was totally confused when we first walked in, the venue was very similar to my old school hall. Part of the floor was carpeted and there was a low stage towards the back. Surely all venues weren't like this, it seemed better suited for a Bingo night or school disco. [I don't actually know what I expected it to be like but what I saw was most definitely not it]

Dave wanted a drink so we made our way over to the tiny bar on the right hand side. Then it was time to find a decent spot. I am 5ft exactly so unless I headed right to the front, which I had no intention of doing, I had to except some tall guy would be blocking part of my view. This was okay, I was happy soaking it all in and hey, I still didn't know what the band were like so I really wasn't fussed where I stood at this point.

The place filled up pretty quickly, I remember having a mini freak out in my mind. There were people everywhere and I kind of felt trapped. Limbeck were on first, they were shockingly awful. Next up was Motion City Soundtrack, I can't have thought much of them either as they left no lasting impression. I had relaxed quite a bit now and although I wasn't really excited by the music it was still fun. Dave wanted to head to the front for the headliners, I was happy to stay further back. He was wary of leaving me but I assured him I would be okay. He liked this band and I wasn't going to spoil his night that was for sure.

The next 45mins became somewhat of a blur. The band came on stage to the sound of many screaming girls. Their songs were catchy and upbeat and they were a lively bunch of lads. A few songs in I edged forward a little, soon realising I was quite close to the stage. I was lost in the music, getting tangled with others as we all danced. This is what I had come for, this feeling of being free to lose myself and sharing that feeling with hundreds of others. Then I got elbowed in the mouth! This wouldn't have bothered me had I not gotten my lip pierced just a few days earlier. A guy close by noticed and came over to check I was okay, I was more than okay but thank you for checking. He then suggested I stayed close to him and his group of friends, a few girls waved hello. Even though names weren't exchanged I and neither of us said much else after I felt as though I had been excepted in some kind of way and I was thankful. The last few songs played out and then that was it, the gig was over. My head was buzzing, I was sticky with sweat, covered in the bass players backwash and I couldn't stop smiling. I had survived my first gig, more importantly I had enjoyed myself.


Look what I managed to find in my box of memories.


P.S. I will always look fondly upon this night as it was the start of new journey for me. It is however a little scary realising that it was 8 years ago! I have been to tons of gigs since then, queued for hours in the rain for bands and returned home with bruises from being crushed against the barrier. In fact last year was my first gig abroad but that's another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment